Green Coffee Bean Extract

Green Coffee Bean Extract

Postby MCurrie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Since my friends know I roast my own coffee, one of them mentioned about Dr. Oz's recent program on taking Green Coffee Bean Extract capsules for weight loss. I went on-line and purchasing a bottle was pricey, so I was wondering if I ground some green beans and placed them in cellulose capsules if that would be the same thing?
The chlorogenic acid is supposed to be the ingredient that helps with weight loss. I'm assuming it would be the same result but I wanted to post this in case others had differing opinions.
Any comments?
MCurrie
Green Bean
Green Bean

Re: Green Coffee Bean Extract

Postby Barrie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:10 pm

Great topic, even if a bit off-center. My wife has mentioned this to me a few times but I have never pursued it and so have no information. Will watch this space with interest.
"So much to learn, so little time."
Hottop B-2K with TC4C/HTC, Artisan, and Jura Capresso ENA 3.
Barrie
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby bigbells » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:49 am

If the claims are believed, then green coffee bean extract is not the same as powdered green coffee beans because the green coffee bean bean extract is claimed to have around 50% chlorogenic acid.

Green coffee beans, according to http://www.sweetmarias.com/AdvancedLeve ... asting.pdf, have 6.5% chlorogenic acid.

Again according to the above document, roasting reduces but does not eliminate the chlorogenic acid content. According to the document, roasted coffee contains an average of 2.5% chlorogenic acid.

The claim for optimal weight loss dose green coffee bean extract is 3 X 400mg capsules per day. At 50% chlorogenic acid, this would be a daily chlorogenic acid dose of 600mg.

To get 600mg of chlorogenic acid from roasted coffee, if the roasted coffee had 2.5% chlorogenic acid, one would consume 24g of roasted coffee. Does all of the chlorogenic acid make it to the brewed cup of coffee? I have no idea. But if it does, 16 ounces of coffee brewed at average strength of 1.5g coffee per 8 oz of water would result in the consumption of the same amount of chlorogenic acid as 3 X 400mg capsules of green coffee extract that was 50% chlorogenic acid.
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:27 am

When in doubt, ask Google. From just one promising result:
Chlorogenic acids are actually a family of esters formed between quinic acid and phenolic compounds known as cinnamic acids (2). The most abundant chlorogenic acid in coffee is 5-O-caffeoylquinic acid, an ester formed between quinic acid and caffeic acid (Figure 1). Coffee represents one of the richest dietary sources of chlorogenic acid. The chlorogenic acid content of a 200 ml (7-oz) cup of coffee has been reported to range from 70-350 mg, which would provide about 35-175 mg of caffeic acid. Although chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid have antioxidant activity in vitro (3), it is unclear how much antioxidant activity they contribute in vivo because they are extensively metabolized, and the metabolites often have lower antioxidant activity than the parent compounds (4).
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby martin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:28 am

OTOH, there's no reason to believe anything you hear about by way of Dr. Oz.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Return to Cultivars and Green Coffee Science