What does a coffee cherry taste like?

Coffee-related talk, Home Roaster Gatherings, Traditions and Shares, Etc.

What does a coffee cherry taste like?

Postby Tankobu » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:17 am

Has anyone here bite into one of those coffee cherries right off the tree? What does it taste like?? I know that they don't taste like Rainier or Bing cherries, or else they would sell the "meaty" portions of the cherry. Is the meaty portions good for anything or do they just recycle it into fertilizer???
Tankobu
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Re: What does a coffee cherry taste like?

Postby mikewas » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:47 pm

I've had just a couple of coffee cherries. A taste when touring a farm. The cherry has a rather thick skin with a thin layer of flesh below. Very mild, slightly sweet, fruity taste. A mucilaginous texture -- just short of being slimy. White/creamy flesh with clear juice.

The dried skin/flesh is used as a food product, it is steeped as a type of tea. Tom has carried it on a couple of occasions. I tried a bag of it once -- I didn't dislike it, but the taste (fruity, slight spiciness) was so mild that I preferred alternative drinks.

Also, I read somewhere that it was once fermented into an alcoholic beverage. This use supposedly preceded the use of the seed to make coffee. Since there is so little flesh on the fruit, there is also little juice. It'd take a lot of cherries to get a usable quantity of juice.
"Fig Newton: The force required to accelerate a fig 39.37 inches per sec." --J. Hart
mikewas
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby MindanaoBob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:42 pm

Tankobu wrote:Has anyone here bite into one of those coffee cherries right off the tree? What does it taste like?? I know that they don't taste like Rainier or Bing cherries, or else they would sell the "meaty" portions of the cherry. Is the meaty portions good for anything or do they just recycle it into fertilizer???

I've always wondered about this myself, so thanks for asking!
Bob Martin
"MindanaoBob"
Davao City, Philippines
MindanaoBob
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby bobtimo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:36 am

MindanaoBob, I tried one from Louie's farm in Bansalan. It's sweet. That's the Catimor variety.
bobtimo
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby MindanaoBob » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:05 pm

bobtimo wrote:MindanaoBob, I tried one from Louie's farm in Bansalan. It's sweet. That's the Catimor variety.

Next time you have a chance, grab one for me too! If they are sweet and taste good, I wonder why you don't actually see them being sold as fruit? :D
Bob Martin
"MindanaoBob"
Davao City, Philippines
MindanaoBob
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby rpochapin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:56 pm

I whole heartedly endorse the qisher that SM's sells from time to time. Well worth a try.
rpochapin
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby Sweet Maria's » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:38 pm

The flavor changes a lot with degrees of ripeness, and cultivar matters to some degree. Gesha coffee cherries have a very unique taste! But mainly it is ripeness. Quite a few advanced farms are now using Brix meters to measure sugars in the coffee fruit to determine optimal picking times! There's a huge difference in Brix levels between a red ripe cherry and a crimson red cherry, something like Brix 12 to Brix 18 or 20, if I remember my numbers correctly. I have quite a few plants around here that ripen, not enough for much of a harvest but certainly enough to taste. Anyone local to us should inquire about extra coffee plants via email. You need to ask in advance, but we do have extra small plants you can have, many with exact cultivar and farm locations.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
sweet maria's coffee, west oakland, california.
Sweet Maria's
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Coffee Chatter