Technivorm Moccamaster repair

Ibrik? Mokapot? Percolater? Flip Drip? Cowboy Coffee? An old sock?

Technivorm Moccamaster repair

Postby conrad2k » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:43 am

My Moccamaster 741 stopped working! The "scale" light comes on and the pot gets hot but no water drips through at all. Has anyone experienced a problem like this? It seems as though the heating unit is on, but perhaps it is clogged?
conrad2k
Green Bean
Green Bean

Re: Technivorm Moccamaster repair

Postby Voripteth » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:55 am

Perhaps this is a silly question but have you tried descaling it? :shock:
Roaster: HotTop B
Grinder: Maestro Plus
Brewer: Technivorm CDT
Voripteth
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby conrad2k » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:00 pm

I have descaled many times. This time the light came on but nothing would pass through the heating element. Could it be clogged? I unplugged it and removed the base plate. There is a good deal of corrosion on the electrical connections. Is there an east coast repair facility?
conrad2k
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby kaboodle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 am

Not that I think it doesn't happen, I think this is the first time I've actually seen someone report a failure on a Technivorm. From a "repair" perspective the company doesn't really talk much about it or show what you might call an "authorized repair center" list.

The only thing I've ever found (both from writing to Technivorm HQ and their website) is that they point you to their US Distributor "Boyd Coffee".

http://www.technivorm-us.com/

I've only called Boyd once for a part related problem (broken brew basket lid) and after they quoted the price to me, I decided I would just make do with my broken part. The Technivorm is a great product, the best coffee maker on the planet IMO, but some of the plastic parts/design are downright flimsy. I hope your experience is better from a repair perspective and the associated cost. I've always hoped mine would last long enough that eventually when it croaked I'd be far enough down the road that buying another one would seem like an OK thing.

Rick
Roasters: Grill Roaster, Alpenrost, Hearthware Precision I
Grinder: Rocky DL
Brewing: Technivorm Moccamaster CD, Isomac Rituale, Cona D, CCD
kaboodle
Full City
Full City

Postby mldavis2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:51 am

Just wanted to thank kaboodle (Rick) for the link to the U.S. distributor of the Technivorm.

My wife bought a Moccamaster for me as a gift last December. It has a stainless steel, tapered carafe. I had read a comment or two about the pour lip being a bit sloppy and thought nothing much of a bit of coffee dribbling down the front beneath the pour lip.

My wife observed that there must be a leak because when serving a full carafe, the dribble could be wiped off and then would re-appear as the carafe sat on the table. Investigation showed that there was apparently a leak between the metal and plastic handle ring that encircles the top of the pot which allows coffee to seep beneath the ring and slowly drain down the front of the carafe. No big deal, paper towels are cheap enough.

But the Technivorm isn't cheap, so in a moment of inspiration, I sent an e-mail to the Boyd Coffee link provided by kaboodle offering to return the carafe for inspection and possible repair. I received an immediate reply from Alisha Gardner, Customer Service Rep, no questions asked, saying that they were sending me a replacement carafe at no charge.

Just thought Tom and the crew might want to know that their chosen products are being well supported.
Roasters: Behmor 1600
Grinders: Capresso Infinity
Brewing: French press, Aeropress, CCD, Bonavita, TechniVorm
mldavis2
Full City+
Full City+

Postby argy-b » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:28 am

Did you manage to get your Moccaaster repaired conrad2k? Mine has just done exactly the same thing. I've tried contacting Boyds via 3 different e-ddresses but no reply in over a week now... I had the same problem when trying to purchase the machine - they didn't respond to any emails. I eventually had to go through the Dutch manufacturers. So I can't agree with mldavies2 that the customer support is good. It'd be great if you could let me know how your problem was resolved.
argy-b
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby davidearls » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:49 pm

My wife's Technivorm exhibited exactly the same problem, i.e., light comes on, no brewing. Here's something you can try.

Remove the lid to the water tank. With the brew pipe facing toward you, there is a perforated piece of metal on the right hand side. This is held in place by friction, with four pins going into mounts. Get yourself something that you can hook under the shield - a bent piece of wire will do, a paper clip might be too little. Now gently remove the metal piece, working it alternately on each end if necessary. The thing here is to NOT bend the seating pins.

Under the metal cover is a float, hinged on the rear side. Look into the float chamber and see if you have something preventing the float from operating freely. My wife's machine had two coffee beans in there (I have no idea how they got in there). Remove any debris keeping the float from operating. Replace the metal cover, noting that the unperforated end goes above the float hinge at the rear.

This got my wife's machine working again, and did not require the removal of any screws - which is not to say that any number of them weren't removed by her during the exploratory phase. The water tank isn't even held on with screws, it's held on with star bits. All I can say is thank god she didn't get hold of a Philips head screwdriver to try to get those puppies out.

Think how stupid you'd feel if you drove your machine 30 miles to the coffee machine repair guy, and this was all he found...
David Earls

Gaggia New Baby, Hario v60 01
Rancilio Rocky (espresso)
Behmor 1600, FreshRoast SR500...
...and my wife drinks K-cups (sigh)
davidearls
City +
City +

Postby fishy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:44 am

Hello-

Thanks for the tip on repairing the Technivorm. A friend gave me his KBTS because it didn't work, even with the light on. It worked fine for me, until Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. Light on, no water coming out. Today I opened it up, and sure enough, there were 4 coffee beans under the float!

BTW, the star screws are called "torx", and your wife would have gone nowhere with a philips driver. Don't ask me how I know...

Thanks again,
Dan Donovan
fishy
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby KBTS741 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 pm

The star screws are there to stop people from performing maintenance. It just as well especially if the Technivorm Moccamaster is still under warranty.
KBTS741
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby coffeecap » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 pm

So, yesterday was the day. The new (bought 12/11) TNV KBT 741 quit heating water. So, it is still under warranty and I may end up sending it in for repair. But thought I'd check in here first for ideas.
The light comes on, water in tank, the carafe in place, the float seems to be free (having looked after reading other posts), and nothing gets hot and nothing comes out.
Am I doomed to packing and shipping to Boyd's? Did Sweet Maria's have any helpful advice?
coffeecap
Green Bean
Green Bean

Next

Return to Other Brewing Methods