Pour-over water temperature

Pour-over manual brewing methods, Filtercones

Pour-over water temperature

Postby Uncle Ben » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 am

I am curious to see what temp some of you are using for pour over. In the past I have been either boiling in my kettle and then letting it rest to get down to 200~205, but I've seen some videos that suggest using water straight off the boil due to temperature loss (even if your dripper and vessel have been warmed up). I'm also curious about some of your suggested temps for french press and aeropress (I like to use different methods just to change things up). Thanks
Roast: Whirley Pop
Grind: Baratza Encore
Brew: Aeropress w/ S-filter, Militta pourover, Bodum French press, Delonghi EC155 espresso machine
Uncle Ben
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Re: Pour-over water temperature

Postby MikeW » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:10 pm

I've just recently started measuring water temperature during pour overs, and I get 202-204. I boil about 1 L of water and let rest for 30 - 60 s before pouring. The water in the kettle cools quite a bit during the brew.

Pouring just off boil I think would be too hot.

It's the strike temperature, the temperature of the water as it hits the coffee, that is to be 198 - 204*F if the standard is followed. I've seen two experienced people (Kevin Sinott and Netphilosopher on CG) who find that lower temperatures than 198*F give tasty results too.

I've experimented a little with lower temperatures with the Brazen, and I've found 198*F indicated (actual strike temp would be a little lower I guess) emphasized the spicy flavor of the Brazil, and others have found more fruit flavors at low temperatures.

Of course, grind, temperature, and time are all related but so far I've found that grind and temperature each change the coffee in a different way.
Mike W
Silicon Valley
MikeW
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby squaremile » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:38 pm

I get good results from a variety of temps of the other factors are also adjusted. At the moment I use 206F water since the Rao book suggest doing 5-7 degrees hotter than you want in the brewer due to heat loss. The results are good to me.
squaremile
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby Quoddy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 pm

I use 199 as the cut-off and immediately pour over the bloom. After a brief period the H2O is down to 195/196 before I continue the pour over process. Usually I'm using a Chemex/Kone combination, so the temperatures are are approaching the lower 190 range by the time the process is finished. I've found that shooting for 195F works best for me in nearly all types of brewing. I used to use a bit hotter, but since getting the Bunn Trifecta MB have discovered that I like the flavors more at a slightly reduced temperature.
Roasting: Quest M3
Brewing: Andrea Premium (espresso), Bunn Trifecta MB, Cona (vacuum), Espro French Press, Chemex and Bayreuth (pour overs), Bialetti Moka
Grinders: MACAP M4 (espresso), Baratza Vario-W with Ditting burrs (everything else)
Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Return to Drip Brewing -Manual