Tips for roasting decaf coffees

Selecting and roasting decaffeinated coffees

Re: Tips for roasting decaf coffees

Postby w0fms » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:29 pm

I got some SM Brazil Decaf for the same reason as Army Coffee did, so the wife can have some in the evening. (I can sleep fully caffeinated, I'm sick, I know). I picked Brazil so I could do SO espressos or mix in a little caffeine (1/3 ish) for blends.

Except for the fact it's REALLY easy to over roast the coffee.. it was.. well almost as good as the Fazendas I've done in the past. As long as you go a little lighter on your roasts, you get pretty close with the decafs. I think the comment is correct that you need to get them from a quality supplier, and again SM's selections all look good. I'll vouch for the Brazil experiment.

I could taste a difference between the other Brazils I had and the decaf, but it was minor and the cup was quite acceptable to good. (Just roast a little lighter)

Fred
w0fms
Over-roasted
Over-roasted

Postby wmsj777 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Geraldatwork,

I just bought some decaf from SM but haven't roasted any yet. Have you found that your process gets consistent results?

Thanks,
Walter
wmsj777
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby ChemEng » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:52 am

Hi All,

I bought a Behmor about a month & a half ago (but haven't roasted in it yet) but going to this weekend. After I do a few test runs, I want to roast some decaf for my Mom and Dad, but after reading this thread, I'm thinking about using P3, P4 or P5. No mention of decaf in the manual (that I saw anyway--I'm very good at missing things though!) Anybody have any luck roasting decaf on the Behmor and what profile did you use?

Thanks
Robert
ChemEng
First Crack
First Crack

Postby w0fms » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:45 am

Be gentle on the decaf, especially in a Behmor.

I know I'm "nutty" and "obsessive" about the Behmor, but I've STILL not roasted any decaf in it. I've used the air popper...

P3 is a good choice. I still am a bit befuddled on the usefulness of P1 (except for Yemen!) and especially P4 and P5. If trying P4 and P5, I'd tell the Behmor that you are roasting more than you are so you don't end up too short on time.

Fred

Oh, unless you are going to use the decaf for Espresso I'd cut it right after first crack too on your initial roasts. Better to go light on Decaf than too dark!
w0fms
Over-roasted
Over-roasted

Postby ChemEng » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:35 pm

P3 it is then.

w0fms wrote:I know I'm "nutty" and "obsessive" about the Behmor, but I've STILL not roasted any decaf in it. I've used the air popper...

Unfortunately, I "smoked" my air crazy on the third real roast I did with it. Within that time though I got hooked, so I bought the Behmor. And of course my first few real roasts will be with the toughest beans (decaf) to roast. But that is usually how I roll........

No espresso for my folks--just plain 'ol drip. My goal is to keep it light, so that they can taste the varietal portion of the roast. They have never had anything other than Keurig or commercial/commodity coffee.

Thanks again for the tips!
ChemEng
First Crack
First Crack

Postby martin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Actually, there is a passing mention in the manual - or maybe it's in one of the add-in pages - that mentions that decaf progresses from first crack to second a little more quickly. Hmmm, bet that was by that Rosetta Stone thing (item #3 in the Tips & Maintenance section). So C or the fuzzy target of C+ is easy enough, and FC or FC+, without going too far into second crack, is as tricky as ever. :-/

I've only had a few decaf roasts in the Behmor. If the quantity you expect to use isn't too small for it, I'd suggest going with an 8 oz batch to stretch everything out a little bit. P3 or P4 might help a little, but IME you're going to be on that last, full power leg when you get to the cracks anyway, so it can only help so much.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby ChemEng » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks Martin! I'll give the Rosetta Stone area a more thorough look.

I'll give both P3 and P4 a shot. I've got 4 pounds of greens from a 1/2 & 1/2 SM sampler to play with, and some willing "guinea pigs", so I can play around a bit. Batch size will be at least 8oz and maybe more, as I have to ship the roasted beans from NJ to Western NY.

Robert
ChemEng
First Crack
First Crack

Postby martin » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:13 am

I'm not sure why I was thinking you might roast smaller batches - may have been carryover from another discussion. I think 8 oz would be a really good choice - that way if something goes tragically awry, you can clean up and try again. :-/
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby ChemEng » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:34 pm

martin wrote:that way if something goes tragically awry, you can clean up and try again. :-/

Martin,

I have the belief that Murphy was an optimist! :lol:

Robert
ChemEng
First Crack
First Crack

Postby eaorlando » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:37 am

geraldatwork,
this was VERY helpful. I am new to roasting and could not get a decent decaf or 1/2 caf blend. You advice was great! my decaf actually smells like coffee! :D
eaorlando
Green Bean
Green Bean

PreviousNext

Return to Decaf Coffees