Moka Kadir

Selecting the right coffee, cupping methods, Sweet Maria's reviews, Green Bean storage

Moka Kadir

Postby dickc » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 am

Since the beginning of my roasting Moka Kadir has been one of my favorites. I reckon it's just partly a romantic notion I have about this ancient blend of coffees. I wonder if anyone else has noticed that this iteration of Sweet Maria's seems fruitier than others. It may just be that I roasted it somewhat lighter. But, it seems to me that I noticed a fruitier smell of the greens even. I like it. It just seems somewhat different. Less chocolate - more fruit. What do you think?
dickc
First Crack
First Crack

Re: Moka Kadir

Postby martin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 am

Comparing the cupping scores, we see the 2012 batch is sweeter with plenty of body, but not as much as the 2011 had. Fruitier and less chocolaty you say? I could believe it. The new MK is definitely on my short list for the next order. May have to make that sooner rather than later.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby bigbells » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

In the roaster now: my one pound of Moka Kadir. I'll be making vac brew from it, since I'm not a spresso head.
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby pieguy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:07 pm

I haven't tried other iterations of this blend, only the current offering. You kinda stole my thunder with this post, I was going to make a thread about this coffee since I haven't read anything about it before this. In short, it's one of the most mind blowing coffees I've tried so far. I love the acidity, it's not tart whatsoever, just a pleasant berry flavor and aroma, but not too much, and great sweetness.
-Ryan
pieguy
City Roast
City Roast

Postby bigbells » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:28 am

This morning I met Moka Kadir for the first time, 5.5 days post-roast, by mixing 18g of it with the remaining 47g of my most recent roast of Rwanda Jomba Vunga.

Hugely lively, it says wake the heck up even at this imbalanced ratio. I wonder if the next pot, when the MK goes it alone, will make me miss the chocolate that the Rwanda brings.

Funky good. Think Chaka Khan. Still, funky, toward which I have a somewhat rebellious attitude.

Nice lingering aftertaste which I can only describe as tasting like mint.
Dave Bellware
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby dickc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:37 am

Mint!? There's that toothpaste again. Tastes more like jam to me. But then, I brush with cherry jam.
dickc
First Crack
First Crack

Postby bigbells » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 am

dickc wrote:Mint!? There's that toothpaste again. Tastes more like jam to me. But then, I brush with cherry jam.
Nope. Slept with my teeth in, meaning they weren't brushed prior to making and consuming the vacpot of coffee. Think mint jelly. That's the nice aftertaste I'm getting. There aren't many taste elements I venture to identify accurately but this one is clear to me. I like it quite a bit.
Dave Bellware
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby bigbells » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Oh, yeah. Today turns out to be a two-pot day, with Moka Kadir going it alone for the 2nd pot. Now only a hint of the mint that I got in this morning's pot, of which Moka Kadir comprised only 26%. But the all-MK pot is jammy, fruity, sweet and delicious. What an amazing blend this would be to shock and amaze friends and family, if it's still in stock when my stash gets a little more depleted! Nice job, Sweet Maria's!
Dave Bellware
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby dickc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 am

I agree. That fruitiness I had a hard time identifying is fruit jam. Maybe a combined berry jam. Very different in a good way. Must be an Ethiopian, I'd guess.
dickc
First Crack
First Crack

Postby martin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 pm

If I recall the comment correctly, it's three DP Ethiopia lots and one Yemen. Or maybe four plus one?

It's a recurring blend that SM tries to put together every year as new lots come along. In 2012 it seems to have been hard to find the right selections - wonder if that has anything to do with the wonderfully varied offerings of those sorts of DP lots that have been on the list this crop cycle?
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Next

Return to Choosing Coffees, Cupping, Coffee Reviews, Coffee Storage