Roasting Log for Behmor 1600?

Behmor, HotTop, Gene Cafe

Roasting Log for Behmor 1600?

Postby thusband » Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 am

I used the CoffeeRoaster app while I was roasting with a Poppery 1 and it was pretty good but got a little crazy trying to keep tabs on the temp and logging. It was all manual.
I just started using a Behmor 1600 so am looking for something else as temperature can’t be tracked on the Behmor. I looked at RoasterThing but it seemed a little buggy for me. What do you folks use?
thusband
Yellowing
Yellowing

Re: Roasting Log for Behmor 1600?

Postby ira » Thu May 02, 2013 11:22 am

If you'd found a bug and told me It would have likely been fixed in a very short time. I'm not perfect, but reported bugs tend to be fixed in less than a day.

Ira
I wrote RoasterThing, free software for logging and tracking your roasting
http://www.RoasterThing.com
ira
City +
City +

Postby thusband » Thu May 02, 2013 11:35 am

ira wrote:If you'd found a bug and told me It would have likely been fixed in a very short time. I'm not perfect, but reported bugs tend to be fixed in less than a day.

Ira

Thanks Ira. Perhaps I was too hasty. I've been reading the manual some more and now realize the application is pretty comprehensive. I'm going to try to use it some more.

It looks like you need to have easy access to a PC while you're roasting. My PC is at the other end of the house and I don't have a laptop. Guess I'll take lots of notes and fill in the blanks after the fact.

Thanks again for the quick reply.
thusband
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby MassWineGuy » Thu May 02, 2013 2:31 pm

I don't use PCs. Is there a good roasting program for the Mac?
MassWineGuy
Tan Bean
Tan Bean

Postby bozobrain » Sun May 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Make your own. I have; date, coffee, preheat, weight, program (ABCD), P-setting, plus or minus added, comments, 1st crack, 2nd crack, push "cool", temp, humidity. Behmor says to start with 1/4 #, I think this is good, you may throw some out. Please keep a log, if you find one that works, say hee haw. I am new to this also and wish I knew where to look for this info, so I made my own. What I do know, buying from companies, read their info about the bean and try to do their info. Listen for 1st crack and make note of time. The manual says 90 seconds before 2nd crack but I found up to 2 minutes, this is better. Read every thing you can starting from this site. Earl
bozobrain
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby Ben Berkompas » Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 pm

MassWineGuy wrote:I don't use PCs. Is there a good roasting program for the Mac?

If you have an iPhone or iPad, the Roastmaster app is simply excellent - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roastmaster/id375526217. I've run over 200 roasts through it since last July and use it manage my entire bean inventory and roasting/cupping logs.
Ben Berkompas
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby thusband » Wed May 08, 2013 7:10 pm

I've started using the manual roast function of RoasterThing. I made a little Google spreadsheet with all the parameters which I fill in during the roast and later transfer to the program on my PC. Ideally a laptop to use during the roast would be preferred.
thusband
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby JavaJeff » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:26 am

I also created my own log sheet using many of the same categories that Bozobrain suggested. However, I also included: start weight and finish weight, Total roast time, and roast level achieved (you could use "medium" or "FC").
JavaJeff
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby ajf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:01 pm

JavaJeff wrote:I also created my own log sheet using many of the same categories that Bozobrain suggested. However, I also included: start weight and finish weight, Total roast time, and roast level achieved (you could use "medium" or "FC").

I've been doing this including start weight and finish weight, using word processing software to record the results. It's better than nothing, (which is what I used to do) but it still leaves a lot to be desired. For example, knowing the start and finish weight is easy to measure, but knowing the % weight loss is much more useful.

I'd be very interested to know what features other people find useful in logging software, and what platforms they use. With this information, I could see if I could develop some logging software, or use a spreadsheet to extract useful information.
-a.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those who don't.
ajf
Yellowing
Yellowing

Postby thusband » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:24 pm

RoasterThing will track all that and more for you. I've been using it for over a year now and have a record of dozens of different roasts. I bought a cheap used laptop specifically for tracking the roasts I do in the garage.
http://www.roasterthing.com/
thusband
Yellowing
Yellowing

Next

Return to Using Drum Roasters