Newbie Behmor Roaster

Behmor, HotTop, Gene Cafe

Newbie Behmor Roaster

Postby fuzzymarmalade » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Hey all,

I'm a newbie roaster with the Behmor. I have a little experience with stove-top popcorn popper roasting though not a whirly-gig. I tried my first P3 roast tonight (my third in the Behmor) doing a preheat with no beans for 2:00.

I live in a drafty old house and its been quite cold here.

After that I loaded my beans, did a 1:45 preheat on P1 and hit stop to immediately go to P3 C but the control panel on the Behmor locked me out! I had to run the cooling fan for 4 minutes before I could restart the roaster. Is there a trick to doing this properly or was my machine preheat what put me over the temp edge?

I maxed out the time on the C setting but found I needed to dial it back in the end. Based on the weight loss and color, I definitely took it further than I had intended to.

Time will tell but I wonder if the preheat/cooldown/roast will make a taste difference.

Thanks,

Steve
Behmor 1600 roaster, Olympia Cremina, Gaggia MDF Grinder
fuzzymarmalade
Green Bean
Green Bean

Re: Newbie Behmor Roaster

Postby bigbells » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:51 pm

The way I understand it (I don't pre-heat so I have no first-hand knowledge) is that 2:00 is the longest you can reliably preheat without the machine locking you out for a while. You tried to do a 3:45 preheat. Separating the preheat into 2 stages doesn't work, because the automatic lockout is temperature-based, not time-based.
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby fuzzymarmalade » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am

thanks for your reply Dave. I see the error of my ways!

Will try it again and not do the empty preheat next time.

Thanks!

Steve
fuzzymarmalade
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby martin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:48 am

Yeah, the controller won't re-start if it thinks it's hot. Two minutes is pretty much always safe; I seem to recall someone who said he could "always" go for three minutes. But why push your luck? Preheat empty or preheat full, but why both? I've done both, and prefer the beans-in mode, which may have something to do with a house that does get kind of cool at this end of the year.
Sweet Maria's, Behmor, Encore, Bonmac, CCD, Pavina - fun AND good coffee
martin
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby fuzzymarmalade » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 am

yeah as a newbie, I thought it best to start with a warmed roaster and then pre-roast for 2 mins. Clearly unnecessary after my experience.
fuzzymarmalade
Green Bean
Green Bean

Return to Using Drum Roasters