Baratza Vario-W

Discussion of grinders for brew and/or espresso uses

Baratza Vario-W

Postby Quoddy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:03 am

Just added the Baratza Vario-W grinder to my counter for use with the, also new, Bunn Trifecta MB. Thanks to these two units I can have a freshly ground and brewed cup of coffee in less than 90 seconds from start to finish. The "W" has the hopper filled with the coffee de jour with the memory settings (3) and precise grind (230 quickly available) set for my sized cups. Just press start and the built in weight sensor grinds the exact amount of coffee requested. The 54mm ceramic burrs do an excellent job, with little variation of particle size. I debated whether to spend the extra $$ for the features of this grinder, but am now glad I did.
Roasting: Quest M3
Brewing: Andrea Premium (espresso), Bunn Trifecta MB, Cona (vacuum), Espro French Press, Chemex and Bayreuth (pour overs), Bialetti Moka
Grinders: MACAP M4 (espresso), Baratza Vario-W with Ditting burrs (everything else)
Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Re: Baratza Vario-W

Postby Quoddy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:36 am

I ordered a set of Ditting burrs from Baratza and they arrived this morning. Took my time installing them, and thoroughly cleaning the innards of the Vario-W... this took about ten minutes. Looks like the reports I've been seeing about the grind consistency are true. Very few fines, and the difference is actually quite noticeable in the taste. I only use this grinder for drip/pour over/and press pot so the Ditting's are a good match.

Had I thought about it, I would have had the unit shipped with the Ditting burrs, which Baratza will do for the difference in the burr sets prices ($20 extra).
Brewing: Andrea Premium (espresso), Bunn Trifecta MB, Cona (vacuum), Espro French Press, Chemex and Bayreuth (pour overs), Bialetti Moka
Grinders: MACAP M4 (espresso), Baratza Vario-W with Ditting burrs (everything else)
Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Postby bigbells » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:52 am

I'm extremely happy with my Encore. No fines to speak of, wonderful fairly fine grinding ability for my vacuum pot brews. But based on your praise, if I ever need to replace the burrs I'll get the Ditting set.

Thanks for keeping up posted! If the Trifecta brewed larger amounts, I'd be tempted despite the price. Very interesting features and positive reviews.
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby Quoddy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:18 pm

bigbells wrote:I'm extremely happy with my Encore. No fines to speak of, wonderful fairly fine grinding ability for my vacuum pot brews. But based on your praise, if I ever need to replace the burrs I'll get the Ditting set.

Unfortunately, the Ditting burrs are only available as a replacement for the 54mm ceramic Mahlkoenig flat burrs on the Vario series.
Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Postby bigbells » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm

Quoddy wrote:Unfortunately, the Ditting burrs are only available as a replacement for the 54mm ceramic Mahlkoenig flat burrs on the Vario series.
I'll consider that fortunate rather than unfortunate. One less thing to think about, yay!
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby JavaMD » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 am

Quoddy -

I have the same set up as you ... Trifecta MB and Baratza Vario-W. Do I understand that you replaced the Baratza ceramic burrs with the metal ones that they list in replacement parts as NOT for espresso grinds in the replacement parts? I am using the ceramic burrs with a setting of 5-S (not sure it is optimal but it works well)... would be happy to know what setting you are using (and with which burrs).

On the other side of the country ...

Steve
Santoker Revolution-500, Londinium-I, 2014 HG-One,
Baratza Vario-W (steel burrs), OE Lido #635
Trifecta MB, Aeropress, Espro Medium/Large
JavaMD
City Roast
City Roast

Postby Quoddy » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 am

Hi Steve... I use the Vario-W only for non espresso grinding, and because of this have the initial setting far toward the coarse side using the hex drive adjuster. Because of this the setting number/letter would not correspond to a "normal" setting. The Ditting burrs are extremely sharp and aggressive compared to the standard ceramic and because of this have almost no fines when doing a grind for the MB. I noticed an immediate improvement in taste when the slight bitterness from the fines was removed.
Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Postby JavaMD » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:33 pm

Dang it .. just got this back from Baratza ...

"Your order has been cancelled and will be refunded, we are currently out of stock of the metal burrs with an unknown restock date."

Would Ditting Burrs work? Are they From Ditting and sold by Baratza or are they "Ditting like" burrs? if so which number would fit the Vario-W . May have to wait till they are restocked. Thanks for any help....

Steve
JavaMD
City Roast
City Roast

Postby Quoddy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:43 am

Being a holiday I can't call my contact at Baratza, but the burrs appear to be in stock. Maybe you weren't ordering from www.baratza.com direct. Anyway here is the direct link to the burrs.
www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?pr ... n&key=8170
Any problem, I usually call Colin (tech support) at Ext. 802.
Quoddy
First Crack
First Crack

Postby JavaMD » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:33 am

Ordered directly online from Baratza and then got an email on monday it was canceled ... but online it says you can order it ... I don't think they have the order online shop tied to inventory to say something is out of stock. Will call tomorrow for sure .. thanks for the contact.

Steve
JavaMD
City Roast
City Roast

Next

Return to Coffee Mills, Espresso Mills