Grinder for Turkish Coffee

Discussion of grinders for brew and/or espresso uses

Re: Grinder for Turkish Coffee

Postby bigbells » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:00 pm

I know nothing about Turkish coffee, so please correct the impression I had developed that it is made with a grind so fine that when you drink it, you're actually drinking all of the coffee bean, suspended in the brew.
Dave Bellware
Roast: Behmor 1600. Grind: Baratza Encore. Brew: Behmor Brazen.
bigbells
Past Crop
Past Crop

Postby CrimsonShrew » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 pm

That's partially true, but most of the grinds end up as a thick sludge on the bottom of the cup, which isn't intended to be drunk.

On the topic at hand-- I've got a Zassenhaus mill that I bought specifically for Turkish coffee prep, without noticing the last piece of the description "Not fine enough for Turkish coffee." D'oh! I've been using it at it's coarsest setting for some pretty incredible French press grinds, though.

I've got a Sozen on the way, I'll try to snap a photo or two to compare the grind results when it arrives.
CrimsonShrew
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby deansbluevalley » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:15 am

Hi, I just wanted to mention something I haven't seen in this discussion regarding getting the proper grind for coffee prepared in an ibrik. If your hand or power grinder doesn't produce a fine enough grind, you might try grinding them to the finest the grinder will get it, and then, transferring the coffee to a mortar and pestle for further grinding to a dust consistency. I found this solution on one of the websites during my research.
deansbluevalley
Green Bean
Green Bean

Postby w0fms » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Actually, when using any hand grinder for a fine grind also-- using a coarser electric grinder (As long as it's a burr) can make it easier.. I've done that with my Turkish grinder and I used to also do it for Espresso in a Hario before I got a better burr electric...

So yeah, the mortar and pestle trick should work.. but like other methods it's better to try to get a consistent particle size with coffee and I'm not sure that can be done with a mortar and pestle. It's worth a try though.

I bought a Turkish grinder from Istanbul on e-bay for $40.. and I'm happy even though I don't make coffee that way but a dozen times a year...

Fred
w0fms
Over-roasted
Over-roasted

Previous

Return to Coffee Mills, Espresso Mills